David Hammons




 David Hammons was born in Springfield, IL in 1943 and later moved to Los Angeles to study art. He primarily creates pieces that are influenced by African American culture. Many of his pieces are made from things he found in his community. He also created the African American flag which represented African American culture is American culture. He goes against the grain when it comes to conventional art practices and does things in his own "radical" way. I appreciate seeing black artists portraying the culture in a way that I don't know I would have ever done before. Using hair or bottle caps or wire to create these pieces. 

 Powerpoint


Comments

  1. I loved learning about David Hammons! I saw his African American Flag in the Smithsonian African American Museum of History and Culture in DC in December, but I didn't know any of his other work. My favorite piece was probably the snowballs for sale, that was a super interesting idea and I love that people actually bought them. I also like the idea of the dark room with the blue flashlights, and you find people by making yourself known. The photo of that was amazing, and made me want to see what that is like to experience in person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20 Objects and Space

10 RANDOM SPACES

Project Proposal