10 RANDOM SPACES




 

When approaching this project I had a hard time figuring out how I wanted to look at space. I thought about lying on the floor and taking pictures under my desk, or climbing somewhere up high and taking a picture down. But then I decided to just take a photo walk and just take pictures of what I saw. Most of the pictures were either in Colman or at my job because it was way too cold for me to walk around campus looking for shots I barely left my room admittedly. As I was walking through City Park with all the snow it felt like a blank canvas with all of the white same with some of the cabinets I saw. Plus I was playing with the .5x on my iPhone just zooming out in a perspective I rarely shoot in because it’s allowing me to look at spaces in a different POV. Plus looking at my dorm as a space that I decorated but have room to continue to add to. I feel like I just walked around and took pictures of things I look at pretty every day while also potential places for me to place an installation.  Also last year someone was hanging missing socks in the elevator in Colman then someone added a drawing on the socks after maintenance got rid of the sock this felt like an installation so I thought about the elevator as a potential space for an installation. Or as a space where can be held in general.


Comments

  1. Caleb! Again, i love the strange distorted framing of that tiny harry potter door, it really plays with perception and size and scale and lines well. I also like how endless the staircase looks now that we can see that photo. You talked about the idea of doing some kind of installation in the elevator which i think is a really cool idea, I wonder how the theme of the installation itself could be connected to/inspired by the idea of an elevator/ephemeral space in which you have the threat of having to take it down at a moments notice. I think there's a lot of interesting creative constraint with that space. Curious to see what you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these spaces are incredibly inviting, they ask the viewer to step into the world (specifically that of the air B&B house you work at. I am incredible interested in how an elevator can be part of an installation (similar to what MJ said!). How can you bring back the socks or used items into this space? What happens when people interact with it? Perhaps a collaboration with the LUthrift store even? I am excited to see where you work goes. I want to run around in that air B&B, although I can hear its silence through the pictures, muffled carpet perhaps... bring back the wood work into our houses today!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

20 Objects and Space

Project Proposal